Never ignore a leaking roof! If you avoid calling for roofing services in Baton Rouge, LA, you will end up with many serious problems that could threaten the structural integrity of your home. While many people may expect the constant dripping noises and the structural damage, there are unexpected occurrences associated with a leaking roof, as well. Here are five reasons why you should call us rather than let that leak linger:
- Ceiling and attic damage: The damage from leaks goes beyond the annoyance of water accumulation and the dripping noises. Leaks can damage your ceiling and attic. Larger leaks will damage the interior ceiling and you will see your ceiling darken and the plaster bubble and expand. Leaking water will also compromise your paint, and if you have ceiling-mounted fans or lights, those may stop working entirely.
- Mold and mildew: Mold and mildew is not only unsightly, but it can lead to dangerous health problems. This is especially true if someone in your home suffers allergies or asthma. Once mold takes hold, it will spread through your HVAC system and embed itself in carpet and furnishings. The worst type, black mold, is toxic and can grow in tile, wall and floor coverings. Once you have mold, it is difficult to remove and will likely cost more to combat than the estimate to fix your roof before all that occurred.
- Fire hazards: If your ceiling has fans or lights, the leak can cause shorts, which lead to fires. Even if that is not the case, interior wiring that travels through your ceiling and walls can be damaged by the constant deluge of water. When leaks affect wiring, it is often recommended that an electrician inspect the wires and rule out any possible dangers from fire.
- Higher utility bills: A leak will compromise the insulation in your attic. As the cellulose or fiberglass becomes waterlogged, it takes longer to dry out—especially in humid climates like we have here. If you allow the soaked insulation to remain that way, it will be left unable to do its job, and that increases your heating and cooling costs. There is also a chance that the insulation can deteriorate entirely, and that creates the added expense of reinsulating your attic.
- Structural damage: Leaks affect rafters, joists, framing and fascia boards. Even exterior trim can fall apart if a leak is left unrepaired. Also, water accumulation allows leaks to worsen, which leads to more structural damage and other serious problems. In addition to needing a roofing contractor, you may need a carpenter to address problems with framing, ceilings and walls. Unless you want your ceiling to fall down on you one night, it is best to address leaks as soon as you discover them.
Sunrise Roofing & Construction LLC has been a provider of roofing services in Baton Rouge, LA for over 25 years. If your roof is leaking, give us a call today to schedule an appointment and avoid more serious damage and greater expense.
Categorised in: Roofing